LASIK Xtra is the result of Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (CXL) performed in conjunction with LASIK. Clinical data has proven that LASIK Xtra is able to re-strengthen the cornea’s biomechanical structure (for thin corneas) and to reduce the risk of corneal ectasia (progressive thinning of the cornea) post LASIK procedure.
It is a non-invasive, safe, painless and low-risk treatment.
LASIK Xtra works by activating and speeding up the cornea’s collagen fibers to cross-link so as to reinforce the structure of the cornea. It is also thought to heighten the accuracy and stability of post LASIK surgery outcomes and therefore may reduce the risk of enhancement.
LASIK Xtra is currently European Certified (CE Mark) and is undergoing US FDA-approval clinical trials.
The treatment is recommended for all LASIK patients and is also especially beneficial for patients with high myopia, marginal corneal scan results, younger patients and those with thin corneas.
Steps in LASIK Xtra Procedure
Lasik Xtra is 3-minute procedure performed during LASIK eye surgery and is comprised of the following steps:
- LASIK eye surgery performed as usual.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) eye drops are applied to the cornea.
- The riboflavin-soaked cornea is illuminated with ultra-violet A (UVA) light.
- The light cross-links the collagen fibers within the cornea, making it stronger.
- LASIK Xtra takes about 3 to 5 minutes per eye.
Safety of LASIK Xtra
LASIK Xtra is a non-invasive, safe, painless and a low-risk treatment.
They key elements used for LASIK Xtra are Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) and a Ultra-Violet light source.
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) is a natural occurring vitamin in our body, including the eye and other food sources. It has been used for more than a decade as a photosensitizer (a medium to initiate a reaction by absorbing light) for corneal cross-linking procedure. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) is non-toxic and is also commonly used as an additive in food and pharmaceuticals.
Ultra-Violet A (UVA) is one of the 3 types of invisible light rays given off by the sun (together with ultra-violet B and ultra-violet C) and is the weakest of the three. Exposure to UVA light during LASIK Xtra is comparable, or even less than, the exposure of they eye to the UVA light in sunlight for a day outdoors in the summer.
Benefits of LASIK Xtra
The Lasik Surgery Clinic offers LASIK Xtra in Singapore. It is a procedure performed during your LASIK surgery that strengthens the cornea of the eye and has the potential to:
– Extend the longevity of LASIK, decreasing the need for touch-up procedures
– Improve the accuracy of a LASIK procedure
– Provide peace of mind in knowing you are getting the highest quality, safest eye care possible
– Reduce the potential for long-term changes in your vision